Thursday 28 July 2011

Single term not my idea, says Goodluck Jonathan



Single term not my idea, says Jonathan

'There is a brief comment I want to make on this so called single tenure. I wouldn’t have love to, but probably, it is becoming so topical in the papers. Most of the papers carried it today and when things happen, they do take it to a different direction.

"Since we are meeting here as the NEC of the party, it is probably proper to clarify some of these issues so that it will not be misunderstood. The rumour came in, it is me that asked some few people, whether a single tenure will be a better option than a double tenure.

"Before I take any decision, I used to ask people. But, that is not the end of consultation. It is a major chain. So, before I can even send such a bill to the National Assembly, I will consult with the governors because, any constitutional amendment involves the states and if they are not on the same pag e with you, there is no way such an amendment can easily sail through,"

"It (single tenure) has nothing to do with the four year presidency that Nigerians have given to us. We just wanted to clarify it and I think we need to mention that it was not my idea; it was the idea of the committee that I chaired which we believe those of us, the majority members of the committee believe, is the best option,"

Goodluck Jonathan. 28/7/11

No comments:

Post a Comment